Monday, November 18, 2013

Claim Your Peace,Mama!

  When my daughter was not yet a year old, she had her first seizure. Inside, I was terrified. I had never seen a seizure nor had to deal with something like this with 2 young children right beside me. They were scared, they had no idea what was happening to their sister. But, I was able to remain calm throughout the calling of 911 and the shaking and drooling and crying children, in control through the entire 13 minutes that she seized. When the paramedics finally arrived, they stated back to me that they had never seen a mother so completely together and able to function.
                                                                          Peace.
It's a challenging word. The very nature of it contradicts our mind, our life and our world. Personally, I love a challenge, so I chase after peace. I have for years in many various ways & places. But, this is to be a short story, not a novel. So as not to bore you, let's just get to the point, shall we??
   Is it entirely possible for a woman to have more peace in her life than conflict? Or should I say distress or fighting or frustration? Worry. Agitation. War. All these can fit the antonym for peace. And I say YES. It is possible to have peace every day, in the calamity or the ordinary.

What's that you say? It's an absurd statement? 'We're only human!' you say. You sound like one who allows the world to toss you back and forth-high on the non-eventful moments and down deep on anything but! But that's reasonable-with all the trouble the world brings, there's no way you can maintain peace all the time! Ahh.....truth be told, only Lord Jesus had peace 24/7. And that was because He was completely yielded to the Father. Completely. And Yielded. I am not completely yielded to God, nor do I expect in this lifetime to be so.                                                                            
                                                                        Darn!
But throughout Scripture we are told, and commanded, to be at peace, to accept Peace, to live in peace, to go out in peace, etc. What are we then doing when we receive peace as the world does? Being faithless, that's what. In that very moment we are choosing to blot out the very face of God and turn our own way. Have you ever heard someone say that no, we can break down and then afterwards seek His Peace? That it is ok to freak out first and then be obedient? Like if we are informed of a cancer or accident or death, then it's perfectly acceptable to fall apart and afterwards pray for peace?

                                                        This logic frightens me.
First, I believe, it tells God He is a liar. That even through His many, many words we are to be natural first. (Luke 19:42) It is natural to react but we must choose to react to either the Prince of Peace, or the destroyer, to whom we were slaves to before Christ came.
Second, I also believe this faithless belief pollutes our church and other weak believers. Putting forth as truth that we are to react first, then seek, is dangerous. (John 17:17)
   Over and over we are instructed to accept His gift of Peace. And like exercise, it's hard! But the more we practice and do it, the easier it becomes and the fitter we are. Changing from glory to glory. God tells us frankly in His Word that His peace will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. I trust that. I have to choose to do so! Oswald Chambers wrote 'Reflecting His peace is proof that you are right with God, because you are exhibiting the freedom to turn your mind to Him. If you are not right with God, you can never turn your mind to anywhere but on yourself.' We are to be constantly looking to Him to be receiving His peace. This takes time every day to do and heaven knows, God gives us enough opportunities to practice His promises! Ha! In sports, you play like you practice. So if you ain't giving it your all off the court, when the bird hits the fan, you will flail. And we've all seen people in our lives-even in the church- fall utterly down deep. And it's shocking, but telling. We are to have our feet ready! (Ephesians 6:15).
   Now, I know some of you may see me as unemotional or unrealistic. That's fine. It's been a tough road for me personally, and I have much to work on, but this peace thing I've got. Perhaps it's because I believe I am truly nothing good without Him. That unless I rely on Jesus as often as possible, I will fail and fail miserably. I don't always succeed and I make a lot of mistakes.But you would see that I am not an emotional rollercoaster, which can be the result of the absence of Christ. And it's challenging to keep our eyes on Him. Sometimes I wish I had Jesus Glasses which would enable me to see Him right away!
   Let me finish that story of my daughter and my ability to maintain control. I did cry and allow myself to fully feel my fright, but only til later did God allow that. Because of His wonderful promises of Peace and Grace, my boys were able to not be so scared that morning and every other time she seized. They were then more able to help her and others and, eventually, effectively handle worse emergency situations in our lives and the lives of others. Moms-you've got to hold it together!! Keep praying, keep seeking, keep getting back up.
   I have the feeling, because I'm winning at this myself, that you can do this! You have to do this! For yourself, your family, our church and our great commission! We don't have to be vulnerable to what the darkness brings! What would happen if we truly took the authority Jesus gives us and acted on it? Peace in our minds when our thoughts run to the dark....peace in our family in the midst of chaos...peace in our finances while the checkbook tells us different.... We are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus- let's truly believe that and change our world.We can boast of what God is doing through us! God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment